Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY | No Sew T-Shirt Scarf

I've had this lovely coral WWF shirt lying around for a while. I originally bought this for a friend only to find the bottom had a snag in it that was impossible to mend since the fabric got all stretched out. It's made of super soft knit jersey and I couldn't bear to throw it out, so I made it into a scarf!






DIY No Sew T-shirt Scarf

(Difficulty: Easy)





Supplies

(1) Old, soft t-shirt (jersey works best b/c it has great stretch)
(2) Fabric scissors

Steps



1. Iron your shirt if needed. Lay it out and cut off the sleeves, neck hem, and bottom hem as shown.

2. Fold it in half length wise and start cutting your strips as indicated. As you move up the shirt, you may start getting shorter strips. Knot the ends to join them into a loop and add to your other strips.



3. Once you've cut ally our strips, tug on them gently to stretch them out. At this point, you can braid together a few strips if you wish. Knot the ends together to form a loop.

4. Braid the neck and bottom hems. Gather the strips at the seams and wrap the braided hems around it to hide the seams. Knot both ends together to secure. Trim ends.



4. Gather the other side's seams together, wrap, and knot a scrap strip around it, covering the seams. Trim ends as needed


Wrap and wear! I love how the coral color brings a bold pop to an otherwise boring outfit. I also love how lightweight but practical it is; it actually keeps your neck warm on those cooler autumn days!

** Don't wanna DIY? Faster to buy? I'll be selling any extras I made, along with many other items, in my shop Two Teaspoons coming soon. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. I adore this scarf! I'm trying to make some as gifts and I'm finding it difficult to make it look so full. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber! Here's a couple tips:

      1) I like to loop the scarf around my neck twice to make it look fuller.
      2) The size, material, and strip width may affect the fullness of your scarf. Using a bigger shirt will yield more fabric to work with. Jersey and knit shirts work best because they are more stretchable than cotton. You want your strip widths to be 1 1/2" - 2"; too thin and your scarf won't look as full.

      Hope that helped! Drop me an e-mail if you still have trouble or any other questions; I'll be more than happy to walk you through it :)

      Delete
  2. Use a bigger tshirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanessa,

    What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of old t-shirt crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecrafts.com/blog/fc/t-shirt-crafts/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! I'm honored that you guys decided to feature me! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. These are truly amongst the wonderful informative blogs.

    t shirts online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, nina from forest and lakes, we can offer you free blank t shirts for design and creative work. Interested please contact me with email nina@forestandlakes.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...